Making Growth Happen
A widely respected, segment-leading restaurant group had been in business for twenty years. A new generation of ownership was coming into power and, not surprisingly, they wanted to modernize the company. Also not surprisingly, they met strong resistance from the talented long-term management team.
The new generation brought in Surrender for assistance. We discovered that the two decades of success had come at an expensive opportunity cost. Every member of the mangement team was home grown, internally focused, and had completely missed two decades of advances in the industry.
The Surrender team lead an initiative to modernize the management methodology in the company, including:
- Custom tailoring the program to the varied personalities in the organization
- Importing the best practices from the top restaurant companies in America
- Worked with senior management to delegate responsibility for implementation of the new techniques with store-level managers.
The food the customers loved? If it couldn’t be made better . . . it was left alone.
At first, the managers resisted as expected. But, one by one, they began to see that this was an opportunity for them to become more powerful and professional.
- Service levels increased
- Sales increased
- Per-person averages skyrocketed 30%
- Operating costs were reduced by 8%